Thursday, December 12, 2013

"Obamacare": Public shares of Healthcare.gov on Google Plus

Shares to the public on Google plus are named 'ripples', and they show how often and which ways a post has been shared.

A while ago I made a little script to get the number of ripples for a list of urls, and showed how to use it with Alexa top results (here).
Now, while that was entertaining, I wondered if I can learn something, and the Obama administration has a bit of a reputation to be tech-savvy.

I checked www.whitehouse.gov - no sitemap. So, next 'popular topic' that came to mind was 'Obamacare', so I pulled the sitemap from www.healthcare.gov (yes, they have one). And then I ran the little script.

At time of testing (Dec 11, 2013) healthcare.gov had 612 urls in the sitemap. Only 4 of these pages have been shared publicly on G+, with a pretty good number on the homepage.









While 800 plus is far from www.google.com and www.facebook.com with 7000+ shares, Texas.gov has only 5 public shares from what I can see, and www.whitehouse.gov has only 138.


PLEASE: focus on comments around SEO, not politics or healthcare. While these topics are more important overall than any seo or Google plus, for this post they are off topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share